Tonight is the perfect Friday night for sitting down, clearing my mind and writing. Next weekend will be filled with travel and excitement as Girlfriend and I are heading up to Wisconsin Dells (about three hours from where we live in the Chicago Area) to enjoy the long weekend, and we will be both trying zip-lining for the very first time and bringing our dogs. Not bringing our dogs zip-lining though, just on the weekend getaway; I don’t think they’d ever forgive us if we put them on the zip-line with us although I do think they would look rather cute in the helmets.
That said, tonight is the perfect night to delve into what I’m hoping will shape into a third manuscript. I’ve had the ideas floating around and taking substance in my head for a while now, and I’ve written about feeling blocked as of late so I’m hoping with a clear head tonight will be The Night that it all begins to take shape and flow. That said, I’ve been listening to a certain block of songs on my iPod over and over (without realizing it, believe it or not) to get my mind to the right place. As the songs continued on their loop into my consciousness, I giggled at myself, realizing how silly it was that apparently I had an official writing playlist to get me focused on this particular story. As I wondered about it more, I realized that for the past two, I also had pseudo-playlists, or at the very least, certain songs I would listen to relentlessly on repeat that would put me into the right state of mind and probably make Girlfriend want to take stock in earplug manufacturers.
Anyways, solely because I thought it was rather amusing and possibly naively believing that surely I cannot be the only one that has a “writing playlist”, here are the set of songs in question – For those needing a memory refresher, I’ve also been so kind as to link directly to YouTube for curious listeners :). Who knows, these particular tunes can probably hint at the ideas for the third manuscript I’ve had floating around in my head right now better than even I could:
1) You Don’t Own Me – Dusty Springfield (Note: Yes, I know this was originally done by Lesley Gore but what can I say…I just really love Dusty’s version better!)
3) The Twist – Chubby Checker (okay, I’m not going to lie, the vintage dancing in the accompanying video for this song made me giggle…A lot. My mother dances like this to this day – Especially after two glasses of wine.)
4) Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow – Amy Winehouse (again, a cover, but I really, really, really (did I say really?) love this version.)
5) I Only Want To Be With You – Dusty Springfield (Note: It’s a good thing Girlfriend is not home right now – I’ve been belting this out like I’m a finalist on American Idol or something and, well, let’s just say there’s a reason I WRITE and I don’t SING.)
7) By Your Side – Sade (This may be a sort of “cop-out” as this is one of my all-time favorite songs all around, but it IS part of the playlist.)
So, yes, I’m taking it back about forty years (besides Sade, of course) – But aside from the obvious, I’m oddly curious what my fellow writers and readers think about the playlist and the manuscript that may or may not surface as a result of these tunes on repeat on my iPod. If I can make it work, I promise I’ll strive for it being great and nothing less – All or nothing, right?!